Installing Severn on a Sony 505VE laptop - broken?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 08:47:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 09:53:23PM -0700, Alan wrote:
 > The problem was actually caused by the X server trying to use dri on a
 > chipset that really did not support it.  It was causing abnormal cpu
 > load.  Turning off dri and acpi made things run *much* better.

If DRI doesn't support a chipset it just fails to enable the accelarated
3d extension, and falls back to software 3d rendering. Unless you were
testing 3d apps, you shouldn't have noticed any difference at all.

ACPI does sound like a more logical suspect for slowness.
Odd how the Z600 works fine[*] with ACPI, but the 505 doesn't
(as mentioned in another mail, they're effectively the same machine
 but with a different keyboard afaict).
Normally I'd suggest hunting for a BIOS update, but I know how painful
it is trying to find updates for Vaio BIOS's only too well.
I gave up last time after the n'th flash animation tried to load.

		Dave

[*] FSVO 'fine'.

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk