severn on ASUS P4P800 (P4 2.4C) hangs during boot

Jon Burgess mplayer at jburgess.uklinux.net
Fri Sep 12 16:32:47 UTC 2003

Eric Wood wrote:

> BTW, tt's an i865PE chipset. Severn installed okay but it hangs during the
> graphical boot "setting up hard disks".  If I turn off SATA (as I am still
> using a PATA Maxtor drive) in the bios it'll get a little farther until
>
> Any ideas?

I wonder if it similar to the issues i've been having with SATA on a new
P4HT 2.4G/800MHz + I865/ICH5. What I found was that SATA would lock at
bootup with an IRQ timeout unless the local APIC was enabled.

Try appending "nogui" on to the kernel boot line and see where it gets to.

I did some test with various kernel options. The kernel would boot fine
if SMP enabled (which is required if you want to use the HT feature),
perhaps this is not surprising since it needs the local APIC for SMP.

Perhaps you can try installing the SMP kernel. This wasn't installed by
default for me since I took the installed hard drive from a previous
machine.

When the kernel is compiled for UP and without the Local APIC enabled it
always locked with and IRQ timeout when probing the SATA interface. I
tried every combination of ACPI, PCI=noacpi etc, and they all failed
with a slightly different set of boot messages. I have the logs
available if anyone is interested to debug what is really happening.

	Jon