evolution problems?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 11:19:17 UTC 2003

> > This seems to be what makes Evolution crash randomly on start up for me
> > btw..
>
> i cannot reproduce this - i wrote a script that started Evolution up a 100
> times but no crash.

It crashes on about 1/3rd of start ups for me but this is with a 200,000
message mail collection and existing stuff. A vanilla empty new user mail
doesnt crash.

Annoyingly exec shield off is the "no crash" not the "crash" path

> there's one quirk i found: evolution-wombat has to be killall-ed before
> startup, otherwise the startup would hang in various way if the next
> startup happens earlier than evolution-wombat exits. (it seems
> evolution-wombat exit is not fully synchronized with the evolution exit
> mechanism and if the startup of the next evolution instance overlaps then
> bad stuff happens.) This behavior happens with exec-shield off as well.

I've not restarted it fast enough for that - sounds more than credible.
One for bugzilla.gnome.org