What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Mon Sep 22 20:51:37 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 14:32, Randall J. Parr wrote:

> >If the issue is mp3 support, you can just hop over to freshrpms.net
> >and get it there.
> >

> No I can't. That is, in fact, my point. Most of the freshrpms.net stuff
> requires ALSA, which requires kernel modules, which means I can no
> longer "up2date" that system without breaking the sound, etc., etc.
>
> I have tried, repeatedly to use freshrpms.net stuff but have constantly
> run into the above problems and/or conflicts with other stuff from other
> repositories.  Yes, I can rebuild them or build them from source but the
> whirlpools seems to just spin faster then.

That's odd. I got *my* MP3 support from Fresh RPMs and I don't run ALSA.
Works just fine too. Granted, I did have to install *some* of the Fresh
RPMs ALSA packages, but the ALSA kernel was not one of them. I did it
all with their version of Synaptic - no problems at all.

I only recently switched to Fedora and even then, going between the two
was surprisingly simple. I thought it would be much worse than it was.

Also, kernel 2.6 uses ALSA, so we will all be using it sooner rather
than later.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,