NPTL changes in glibc-2.3.2-91; testers needed

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 10:25:10 UTC 2003

Hi!

glibc-2.3.2-91 apparently did not hit rawhide yet, so I went ahead and put
it to
ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/glibc/2.3.2-91/
till it gets into rawhide.

This includes nptl 0.60, with noteworthy changes:

~ deadlock fix in condvar.

~ possible lifelock fix in all code using the locking primitives.
  This doesn't happen on UP machines, can happen rarely on small
  SMP machines, and increases dramatically with every added processor.

  The result of fixing this is, for instance, that the Volano Java
  thread benchmark runs 8 times faster.  This is a dramatic case but
  noteworthy.  Other tests improve less and some applications experience
  a slight slowdown (compared to previous NPTL version).  This slowdown
  cannot be avoided, we need a more expensive operation to implement
  the locking.

Given that this is pretty big change in the core part of NPTL and how late
in the game this is, I'd appreciate if you could test this as much as possible
on all threaded code you have access to.
File any problems in bugzilla.
Thanks a lot.

	Jakub