What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Sep 23 12:12:29 UTC 2003

> Regular releases is important for keeping stuff up to date and
> also for getting the latest technology into the hands of folks with
> modems rather than broadband

I'd like to propose the following for those of us who want to worry
about maintenance and upgrades but are not in a position to afford RHEL
(you can read that as *.edu :)

What if the following were done:
(FedoraCoreLinux = FCL)

FCL1 is released - it is considered current release
FCL2 is released - FCL1 becomes stable FCL2 becomes current
FCL3 is released - FCL1 becomes old FCL2 becomes stable FCL3 becomes
current
FCL4 is released - FCL1 is deprecated FCL2 is old FCL3 is stable FCL4 is
current

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if there is a way to focus on any 3
releases and then a lot of us who are not in a position to afford RHEL
or who do not want to buy RHEL can have a set of structures to help
ourselves.

I know red hat can't continue to devote many many developer hours on
errata of un-paid releases, however, I'm hoping that the fedora system
will mean that nothing precludes or will try to resist someone from
doing this.

-sv