ayo apt rawhide repositories

Mike Chambers mike at netlyncs.com
Tue Sep 23 13:18:42 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 07:32, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> am i misunderstanding the whole concept of rawhide?  staying on top
> of current big fixes/security patches is clearly a good idea.  constantly
> updating against rawhide does *not* strike me as similarly recommended.

Rawhide is indeed for upgrading/fixing packages, but without going
through a Q/A process, which therefore may or may not work.  For
production systems using official release, one should use up2date to
fix/upgrade their system's files/packages and not use rawhide channel.

But for non-production systems, or in this case, now the testing/beta
through the Fedora project, rawhide *is* the only way to upgrade, as
there is no erratta through regular official channels that I know of,
except for the Red Hat Linux - Beta Updates (or whatever it's called
now) channel, or in this case, rawhide.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"I'd insult you, but you wouldn't know the difference!"