IEEE1394, SBP2 and External Firewire HDD

Vidyut Luther vid at linuxpowered.com
Tue Sep 23 15:27:06 UTC 2003

Thanks to all who replied and gave suggestions. I tried Ben Hsu's
advice, and ran rescan-scsi-bus.sh

it finds and assigns all the id's correctly.

as for the CDROM drive, for now, I turned off smartd, and it works fine.

As for the USB/FireWire Storage ...

I have a USB "all-in-one" card reader for my camera, and my firewire
drive, if both are hooked up to the same computer, the USB storage kicks
in first, so the USB device gets /dev/sda , and Firewire gets /dev/sdb

I have to see how the card reads when I have a memory stick, and a SD
card in at the same time, will it then push the firewire out to sdc ?

I will do a clean install of Beta 2 this weekend, to see if the
installer has fixed the issue, if not I guess we'll see how to make it
work in beta 2. Once beta 2 comes out, i'll document my findings and put
it up on the web for all to see.