How about major and minor releases

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 19:11:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 12:48:36AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Well, I think there is some amount of a requirement for glibc and things
> to play along with the stock kernels. If I remember correctly,
> installing a vanilla kernel on rhl 9 will cause hot flaming death of
> nptl and make an array of things just a lot unhappy.

Actually, it's the other way around.  Stick an RHL9 kernel on an
older release and about 20 packages that rely on broken semantics
fixed in NPTL will blow up.

It has always been a very important goal of Red Hat Linux that
vanilla kernels can run on it.  It's very important to me that
this is a very important goal of Fedora Core as well.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/