Homebrew Severn ISOs

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 16:35:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 09:21, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> > Chris Kloiber wrote :
> > > ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/mkdvdiso.sh
>
> > I'll definitely have a look at it, since I've bought a DVD+/-R(W) burner
> > recently, with making single media bootable installs in mind :-)
> >
> > Matthias
>
>   ok, perhaps i spoke too soon.  regarding chris' homebrew DVD script,
> once after all of the ISO contents are copied to the DVD build directory,
> i see
>
> if [ -e $DVD/.discinfo ]; then
>                 awk '{ if ( NR == 4 ) { print disks } else { print ; } }'
> disks="$DISKS" $DVD/.discinfo > $DVD/.discinfo.new
>                 mv $DVD/.discinfo.new $DVD/.discinfo
>         fi
>
>   perhaps it's a bit early, but what's the rationale for the above?
> certainly, the most overlooked item in creating a custom distro is
> forgetting the .discinfo file.  but after all the copying is done,
> and there's clearly an existing .discinfo file there, what does the
> above do?
>
>   (with my luck, i'll figure it out seconds after i press ENTER. :-P)

If you look at the 4th linue in .diskinfo:

1064433227.893006
Fedora Core 0.94
i386
1,2,3
RedHat/base
RedHat/RPMS
RedHat/pixmaps

I'm pretty sure represents which CD images are present on the current
media. My script counts the number of CD's it's processed, and adjusts
the 4th line to reflect the number of CD's present. The SRPMS disks
apparently don't need to be listed there, but don't hurt either. I have
not dug deep enough to tell you what that mysterious first line means,
but if I copy it it just works. With an FTP-style directory, I just have
to hope the .discinfo exists and is correct, which is why I say my
script is a hack.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.