still unclear about updates versus rawhide

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 02:53:24 UTC 2003

On Sep 25, 2003, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> there will be much *more* stuff in updates for current Fedora
> releases than there were for previous Red Hat Linux releases, for
> example.

Would it be too hard for us to enable people to download/rsync the
complete set of updates available for Severn?  Having several boxes at
home running Severn, it took me a significant amount of time every day
there was a push to the RHN updates channel to (i) download all
updates available from RHN, (ii) propagate them to an NFS-shared
packageDir, and (iii) run up2date -u on all boxes, hoping no
additional packages were pushed.

If I could just rsync the exact set of the packages available from
RHN, headers included, I wouldn't need so much manual interaction to
keep all of my boxes up2date.  Of course, getting every machine to
download every package would work, but it would be a major waste of
bandwidth.

Having a local copy of rawhide has helped, but only to a point.  RHN
updates have often been about a day ahead of rawhide, so there were
always packages in the channel that would have to be downloaded
separately.