Initial look at Fedora Core Test 2

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at lopht.net
Fri Sep 26 06:17:32 UTC 2003

Philip Wyett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some initial spots/impressions of Fedora Core Test 2.

[snip]

> - Desktop icons way way spread - see:
>

> http://www.philipwyett.dsl.pipex.com/fedora/testing/default_desktop.png
>
>   Cleaning up by name does not rectify this problem. :(

I recall reading that Gnome 2.4 had the new feature of fixing icons to a
grid, so Cleanup by name may simply snap them to the closest grid. Look
for desktop settings somewhere, hopefully that's an easy option that you
don't have to use gconf for.

I would like to note that Align to Grid was something present in the Red
Hat releases a few years ago in the early days of Gnome. I forget what
the default window manager was. Probably Enlightenment, but it might
have been Sawbox/Sawfish. I have missed it ever since and am glad to see
it back.