Nvidia and Fedora Core

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 26 18:04:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Mitch Anderson wrote:

> > > Yes. Do the following:
> > >
> > >      1. As root, switch to runlevel 3 (init 3).
> > >      2. Login again as root.
> > >      3. before running the NVidia Installer, set the CC veriable to use
> > >         gcc32 with the command: export "CC=gcc32"
> > >      4. run the NVidia Installer program and let it compile the modules
> > >         as normal.
> > >      5. Update XF86Config as usual (stuff like getting rid of "load
> > >         dri")
> > >      6. Test with startx, but it should be OK.
> > >      7. Switch back to runlevel 5 (init 5)
> > >      8. You're done!
> > >
> > > Happily running Severn2 with the latest NVidia drivers with no troubles
> > > so far...
>
> Mine locks up completely every 4 - 20 minutes... I've been trying to
> find out whats causing it, but haven't seen any errors in log files.
> I've since switched back to the "nv" driver and haven't had any problems
> for over an hour...

i've been running the beta on my inspiron since it first came out,
along with the 2.5.x and 2.6.0 test kernels.  i've downloaded and built
nvidia's drivers countless times, and never had a problem.

is there any reason to think that switching from severn1 to severn2
should suddenly introduce any problems here?  i'll still have the
same nvidia driver, be running the latest 2.6.0-test5 kernel, etc.

so, technically, i don't see what can go wrong ... go wrong ...

rday