0.94 first impressions

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at lopht.net
Fri Sep 26 20:43:01 UTC 2003

Stephan Schutter wrote:
> I vote that the installer PnP all the hardware. Full stop. Why would you
> not want to do that????? If  the hardware is there... it is probably for a
> reason. And that reason is not that I am a geek and would like to sit
> around for days after installing the OS and configuring various
> peripherals. If you like doing that, then use slackware.

FYI - Some people are pretty touchy on the top-posting thing (putting your reply
at the top of the email, instead of inline, as I'm doing, or at the  bottom).

One reason to not do it is to keep the install simple, if there are problems
getting the basic boot environment set up you will find out sooner if you don't
have to wait an hour for all the extra stuff to detect/install. Another is that
RedHat has some really nice runtime tools to do all this configuration, and
their functionality is being duplicated in Anaconda, typically with less elegant
code (according to RH people in this thread). Having these tools run when the
system first boots would still give you all the nice automagic configuration,
but at that point you'll already know the base system works, narrowing down the
list of suspects if somthing breaks.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows installs the base, then reboots and detects stuff.
So does debian.

> An express option (default kickstart) would be cool tough...

Yeah, but part of the motivation is to not have to code it twice (once in the
installer, and once in the runtime apps). If the runtime apps were part of the
installer image, and could be run from Anaconda, then perhaps you could have the
choice.