redhat-config-packages bugs

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Sep 27 12:02:17 UTC 2003

On Saturday 27 September 2003 03:45 am, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Once upon a time at band camp Sat, 27 Sep 2003 3:01 pm, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > You're better off clean-installing the betas.

> Clean installs defeat the purpose of part of the beta testing process,  i.e
> how are upgrades handled.  if noonw tests an upgrade during beta period how
> will upgrade bugs be found?

Dennis is very correct here.  Upgrades have been a beta test target ever since
I first started beta testing back in 6.2 days.  While upgrading to a public
beta (you do realize that there have been private betas, right (see
www.beta.redhat.com)?) should be supported, upgrading from that beta to
something else is not, so be prepared to do a clean install for the next
step.  Or clean reinstall the old system and upgrade.  I have done this a
number of times.  One thing you have to watch out for in the clean reinstall
case is if you move your home directory back in with a newer version of some
things that store configuration in home.  I had a pretty severe problem once
(I think it was with a home that had gotten touched by the pre-7.3 beta
series) going to RHL 8.0.  Had to completely wipe .kde out and reconfigure
KDE from scratch.  But that is just what a beta tester has to be aware of --
betas can and do break your system.  Let the tester beware!  So far my home
directory has survived in mostly unmangled form since Red Hat Linux 4.2.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology