SATA errors linger in test2

Rio Baan riobaan at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 04:07:36 UTC 2004

I have an ASUS P4G8X-Deluxe using the Silicon image on-board SATA RAID.
On install, the two raid drives are detected as hde and hdg (why no hdf?!?)
and since the contents are in NTFS, obviously the installer can't read them.
Instead anaconda instructs me to WIPE them out removing ALL DATA! It's not
really a bug, but an installer threatening to kill my large RAID for no
apparent reason is a bit scary.

The same SATA boot problems are still happening... once again, the grey PC
boot screen comes up and dies when it gets to "Setting Hostname". So that's
where my testing on that machine ended.

Also, any idea why FC2 is giving me two kernels? I don't have a twin CPU
machine (I recently put a a 533Mhz P4 3.06Ghz into my box) so now I can't
see why I am getting an SMP kernel as an added bonus.

Also, I noticed some anomalies in the text version of the installer. After
completing installing test2 in text mode, I am told to hit Enter to reboot
the system. Hitting Enter just makes the cursor go down the screen....
forcing me to give the computer the three finger salute.
Also, I tried installing test2 on a really old Pentium I machine in text
mode. When it came time to swap CDs, the computer decided to reset itself
instead. When I retried the install with no extra packages (and no CD
change) install was OK on that machine.