Dual boot FC2T2 and WinXP?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 13:58:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 04:39:38PM +0300, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> I just noticed that after installing Fedora Core 2 test 2 I can't
> boot into Windows XP anymore. The installer detected the Windows
> partition, and grub.conf contains the correct entry. This worked
> correctly in FC1 and FC2test1, what could be the problem? The
> installer complained about partition alignment, is that related?

Yes. The Windows XP CD rescue should recover Windows XP.

The workaround I've found so far is to partition with fdisk (either on
screen2 on Linux installer or other-os) leaving the linux partitions marked
but empty. Fdisk is fine, but it seems the diskdruid/parted stuff corrupts
partition tables in some cases (where the geometry and the one it expects
differ).