Custom kernels

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 15:12:19 UTC 2004

Hans Engelen said:
> On Thursday 01 April 2004 16:11, William Hooper wrote:
>> Since this is a Fedora list, and not supported by Red Hat anyway, I'm
>> not
>> sure what the issue you have with it is.
>
> You gave the answer yourself, it ends up in RHEL too ... I know fedora is
> not
> supported. I merely disagree with the notion of invalidating support (if
> you
> have any to begin with) on the basis of using a custom kernel. In some
> cases
> it's even unavoidable.

>From a practical standpoint it is impossible to support J. Random User's
custom kernel.  What patches did they add?  What compiler did they use?

Red Hat supports what they patch, build, and test.  I don't see why they
should support what they don't patch, build, and test.  If building a
custom kernel is "unavoidable", then your hardware probably isn't on the
supported list anyway.

I'm sure you will get a better perspective on the Taroon-list.

--
William Hooper