Can anyone advise me on how to fix this dependency problem?

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu Apr 1 22:16:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 07:25 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> yum update continues to fail on my system.  This is a machine that has FC2T1
> with daily updates up through a couple of days ago.  Now yum update fails.
> Here is some debug output:

> Restarting Dependency Loop
> .Package gtkam-gimp needs libgimp-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gimp-print-plugin needs libgimp-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package xsane-gimp needs libgimp-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gtkam-gimp needs libgimpbase-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gimp-print-plugin needs libgimpbase-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package xsane-gimp needs libgimpbase-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gtkam-gimp needs libgimpcolor-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gimp-print-plugin needs libgimpcolor-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package xsane-gimp needs libgimpcolor-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gtkam-gimp needs libgimpmath-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gimp-print-plugin needs libgimpmath-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package xsane-gimp needs libgimpmath-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gimp-print-plugin needs libgimpmodule-1.3.so.26, this is not
> available.
> Package gtkam-gimp needs libgimpui-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gimp-print-plugin needs libgimpui-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package xsane-gimp needs libgimpui-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gtkam-gimp needs libgimpwidgets-1.3.so.26, this is not available.
> Package gimp-print-plugin needs libgimpwidgets-1.3.so.26, this is not
> available.
> Package xsane-gimp needs libgimpwidgets-1.3.so.26, this is not available.

rpm -e xsane-gimp gtkam-gimp

> Package dvgrab needs libdv.so.2, this is not available.
> Package pwlib needs libdv.so.2, this is not available.
> Package mplayer needs libdv.so.2, this is not available.
> Package mplayer-mencoder needs libdv.so.2, this is not available.
> Package xemacs needs libRKC.so.1.2, this is not available.
> Package nvi-m17n-canna needs libcanna.so.1.2, this is not available.
> Package xemacs needs libcanna.so.1.2, this is not available.

Until the above dependency is fixed try:
yum --exclude=Canna* --exclude=libdv update

or address the individual packages that require the old versions of
these libs. (the packages are at fault)

To figure this out next time there is an issue, decide which package is
responsible:
rpm -qf `locate libdv.so.2`

If the file mentioned is already on your system then it is being removed
(to satisfy other new package dependencies) that you need for the
(already installed) package requiring it.  Removing the package that
requires the lib/file being removed (this can sound pretty circular
while explaining) or finding the appropriate update for it should solve
the dependency to allow update to continue (remember that rawhide may
easily break deps for packages from other repos, even if they are '1.91'
or trying to track rawhide).
--
"The only thing neccessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)

Andrew Farris, CPE major
California Polytechnic University, SLO
fedora at andrewfarris.com