NVIDIA driver on FC2??

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Fri Apr 2 22:12:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 23:43 -0600, Gregory Gulik wrote:

> I've been testing FC2T2 on a Dell 8100 laptop with an Nvidia graphics
> card.  The built-in "nv" driver has been ok but not without it's
> problems.  The most annoying is power-save on the monitor doesn't work
> at all.
>
> I downloaded and installed the 5336 version of their driver and I had a
> lot of errors upon the install mostly due to various symlinks missing
> for various GL libraries.  Per it's instructions I put them in by hand
> but they kept disappearing.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?

I have had alot of success using an RPM created from a modified version
of the rpm.livna.org 5336 src.rpm.  I installed the src.rpm, then edited
to specfile to remove the improper dependency on XFree86, then rebuilt
the src.rpm from that modified specfile.  This builds and installs fine
now.

The main reason this could help you, is that the method of packaging the
nVIDIA driver that livna has used relocates the libraries to avoid
conflicting with the Mesa libs--and therefore reduce the issues with
symlinks being set properly.

For ease this is similar to what I've done:
rpm -i nvidia-driver-1.0.5336-0.lvn.3.1.src.rpm
cd ~/rpmbuild
vi SPECS/nvidia.spec
  (remove dependency on XFree86.. assuming you have xorg installed)
rpmbuild -bs SPECS/nvidia.spec
rpmbuild --rebuild SRPMS/nvidia-driver-1.0.5336-0.lvn.3.1.src.rpm

If you prefer not to follow this method you might simply remove the
conflicting Mesa package and see if the symlinks remain intact.
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL
--
"The only thing neccessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)

Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com (lmorgul)