FC2T2 amd64 installation report

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sat Apr 3 22:47:05 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 April 2004 17:29, Neal Becker wrote:
> download.fedora.us has
> fedora/fedora/1.91/i386/RPMS.updates
> fedora/fedora/1.91/i386/RPMS.stable
>
> Where are the equivalents for amd64?  All I can find at redhat and all the
> mirrors is development/, which is rawhide.

Oh, you mean extras.  Well, there are also the SRPMS.  You do what I do (right
now) -- you grab the src.rpm files and build them your self.  But, be warned,
lots of stuff does not build "clean" and, even if it does, there is no
guarentee that they will work.  I spent weeks getting nessus to work and it
involved getting some upstream changes.

For now, the only packages which have a good chance of working are those in
Fedora Core.  Even there you run into problems where somthing works on i386
and does not work on x86_64.  I just had a problem where one of the setools
(seuser) worked on i386 but did not work on x86_64.  I turned in a bugzilla
report and Dan Walsh has a fix in the works already.

I am sure once Red Hat gets the infrastructure together the way they want it
that packages will get automagically get built for multiple architecture but
that is not happening yet.  It was only with FC2-Test2 that the x86_64
packages were being built as part of the overall process.

I suspect that the infrastructure stuff and Fedora Extras has gotten
sidetracked a bit by the efforts that Fedora Core 2 development is taking
(especially getting selinux to work correctly).  Getting selinux integrated
into Fedora Core 2 so that the default install is enabled and enforcing is a
very agressive goal and my hats off the the folks who are doing it.
--
Gene