ASUS P4R800-VM incompatibility

Rio Baan riobaan at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 05:13:37 UTC 2004

>The IDE is also unlikely to work properly. ATI have ignored repeated
>requests
>for documentation of their PCI bridg and IDE logic. You own a winputer Im
>afraid.

I don't see the logic behind ATI not documenting this stuff where other
companies have. Ok, I can live with a binary driver for graphics
acceleration.... but something like the PCI bridge and IDE?
Mind I did notice some work on ATI chipsets in the 2.6.5 kernel, so I live
in hope that someone reverse engineers the thing, but I won't hold my
breath.

As for the Motherboard specs, it's really a cheap gaming PC at heart.....
and gaming PCs are not really suited to linux at all. I still think that
sucks though.

Anyway, I built this machine from a bunch of used parts with this new
motherboard and I was going to sell it anyway.