First Thoughts on FC2T2 on Thinkpad T40 and Sound issues

pjain001 at covad.net pjain001 at covad.net
Mon Apr 5 18:02:41 UTC 2004

So far, I've been very pleased with FC2T2.  I downloaded the DVD ISO via
the torrent, though it was slow, I got the ISO, burnt a DVD, booted up and
upgraded FC1 with NO PROBLEM at all.

I was even able to download the prism drivers for my Netgear WG511 802.11G
PCMCIA card and in about 5 minutes, I was reconnected to my wireless LAN.

Everything worked like a charm with two exceptions:
1) No USB devices were being recognized.  I had to manually edit and load
the USB driver in /etc/modprobe.conf.dist.  After that, no problems.
2) I'm running FC2T2 on a Thinkpad T40 and I can't get sound to work for
the life of me.  I try to manually load the i810 sound driver ( I think
it's snd-intel8x0 under FC2T2 ) but it can't be found.  Can anyone confirm
whether I'll have to rebuild the kernel to get the driver?

Overall, very impressed, apps like OpenOffice and Quicken ( under CX
Office ) seem to be less sluggish.

If anyone has any ideas about sound, please let me know.

Thanks
PJ