Yum and x86_64?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Apr 5 18:27:52 UTC 2004

> I do often get problems like this, though:
>
> 	# yum update perl
> 	Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> 	Server: Fedora Core 1.91 - Development Tree
> 	Finding updated packages
> 	Downloading needed headers
> 	Resolving dependencies
> 	Dependencies resolved
> 	I will do the following:
> 	[update: perl 3:5.8.3-17.x86_64]
> 	Is this ok [y/N]:
>
> After I agree, I (eventually) get a pile of those "retrygrab() failed for:"
> messages that seem to be so common.
>
> So, I'm curious: am I just running into mirror problems, or does the x86_64
> repository often go out of sync with its associated headers?

mirrors out of sync AND/OR unavailable.

retrygrab is the call to the failover routines in yum to go to the next
mirror in your lookup list.

mirrors.kernel.org has been having fairly severe rsync problems with the
mirror masters iirc and I think sunsite.mff.cuni.cz has too.

and, of course, download.fedora.redhat.com is completely overloaded.

-sv