Please turn SELinux off by default

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 6 04:31:00 UTC 2004

Jef Spaleta wrote:

>Brian Bober wrote:
>

>>I also thought about an issue of issues if its turned on for testers,
>>then they update to the final release packages, and its turned off in
>>that, if that could cause compatibility issues.
>>

>For all the problems associated with SELinux that need to be addressed,
>I highly doubt making sure an update from a test release to fc2 goes
>smoothly is even on the map. I want to point out that update from a test
>release to a full release is always going to have a high potential for
>some rather interesting gotchas. If default settings have to be changed
>or a few packages downgraded in the full release to make sure people
>upgrading from fc1 have a good experience, there is no
>garuntee...none...that the change in settings can be easily handled by
>test release installs. Upgrading from a test release to a full release
>is not something anyone should expect to go smoothly. If it
>does...great...but its not expected to. And considering the scale of the
>problems regarding SELinux I really think every tester currently running
>test2 should expect to have to do a fresh install of the full release
>when it comes available.  I'm certainly going to attempt an upgrade from
>test to full release just to see how things break..but i FULLY expect it
>to break and break badly.
>
>-jef"test releases eat babies"spaleta

This is a quote from Bill Nottingham on Feb 23 on the fedora-test-list:

"If you run stock FC2 Test1: you're running a tree that's a snapshot,
at a point in time, of what will be FC2.

If you then update to rawhide as of a certain date: you're running a
tree that's a snapshot, at a point in time, of what will be FC2."

My question is if I keep up to date with what is in rawhide right up to
the time that FC2 is produced will I not have a snapshot of FC2 that will
be the same as the actual FC2? I ask because I have the impression there
were a few things that were in FC2 Test2 that were not in rawhide at the time
that test2 was produced. And would that be the case when the actual FC2 is produced?

thanks for your help,
Richard Hally