[SPAM]Another issue (switching to init 5 from init 3)

Mark Howell mhowell at northlink.com
Tue Apr 6 19:13:19 UTC 2004

> When I'm logged as root booting with init 3, then type init
> 5, the screen keeps flashing between black and the init
> stuff, which ends with:
>
> Starting readahead [OK]
> Starting mdmpd: Kernel md module does not support events [FAILED]

The screen flashing sounds like X trying to start and then giving up,
repeatedly. You might want to check the X log to see if it is complaining
about something in particular. init 5 on FC would normally start X and take
you to a gdm login screen.

The init stuff is just services etc. that are started when you change
runlevel. I get the same messages. Your shell is still there, just hit
return to see a prompt again.

I currently go through a similar "init 3/vi XF86Config/init 5" ritual on my
FC2T2 test machine; I have to keep switching back to the vesa video driver,
as the ATI one doesn't seem to get on with the Rage Mobility card in my
Inspiron 7500 notebook.

Cheers,

Mark.