FC2 Kernel Recompile

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Apr 7 09:44:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 07:50 +0100, Howard Dunn wrote:
> I have tried recompiling my kernel in order to get the NVIDIA drivers
> installed.
>
> When I run the make rpm and the rpm - 1, I see number of errors all
> similar to :-
>
> /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts:  invalid context
> root:object_r:staff_home_xauth_t on line number 174.

These are SELinux messages generated because the files do not have
labels that are valid according to the latest file_contexts.. doing a
"fixfiles relabel" should correct it (I think).

> When I try and add my new kernel to grub - I can't find a .img file for
> my new kernel.

You must create this file with mkinitrd, see the man page.
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.4-1.305custom.img 2.6.4-1.305custom
install the kernel and run depmod prior to doing this

> I run
> make mrproper
> copy the correct config file to .config
> make clean
> make rpm
> rpm -i kernel............
>
> Anyone know what I am doing wrong..?

Installing the rpm created with the basic rpm specfile may or may not
create the initrd image, I'm not sure.  Normally it is created during
kernel rpm installs--it is not part of the rpm.

http://www.tldp.org has a fairly recent kernel compiling how-to posted,
but by now you'll have the process fairly under control.
--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on freenode