ethereal needs libpcap.so.0.8.1

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Thu Apr 8 15:10:13 UTC 2004

Hi Phil,

> > .Package ethereal needs libpcap.so.0.8.1, this is not available.
> > Package ethereal-gnome needs libpcap.so.0.8.1, this is not available.

> I'll rebuild ethereal today, was on vacation last week.

Could you explain to me why ethereal needs rebuilding if the spec file
only states Requires libpcap >= 0.6? How and why does this static
dependency to libpcap.so.0.8.1 gets created? Why doesn't libpcap-0.8.3
satisfy this dependency? Any way to avoid this static version dependency
getting created?

In general, it looks like a lot of work to have to recreate all binaries
when a library gets updated.

Leonard.