Freezes in the beginning and doesn´t starts the x

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Sat Apr 10 22:19:58 UTC 2004

Yves Vanlerberghe wrote:

> I did a yum update yesterday and the whole box just gave up at the point
> when the filesystem gets mounted. It said that only root could mount it
> and then started spewing out some SELinux errors. Dunno whether this
> will help but I got it sorted after adding 'selinux=0' as argument to
> the kernel. There's a great faq on the topic somewhere on the redhat site.
> I think something got screwed up in the policy file so I'll wait for an
> updated policy to come trough via Yum before I give selinux another test..

I also just had a strange experience with SELinux:

I disabled it in /etc/sysconfig/selinux (SELINUX=disabled) in order to
run "updatedb", then reenabled it and after that the screen was flooded
by audit klogd messages.

I logged in via ssh from another machine and did a "fixfiles relabel"
That will set the SELinux permissions on all files and after that I
did't have any audit-klogd messages.

But sorry, I'm somewhat clueless if it already fails at /sbin/init...
Maybe via an emergency CD ?

Cheers,
Hannes.

PS: to disable SELinux temporarily (i.e. to run a command that won't with
SELinux enabled) use "setenforce 0" and "setenforce 1" to switch it on again.