Re; 4KSTACKS again.

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 21:07:29 UTC 2004

Gavin Graham said:
> Re: 4KSTACKS again
>

>> Too bad. External binary modules never have, and never will hold back
>> development. NVIDIA need to issue driver updates that work accordingly.
>>

> "Too Bad". This comment sums it up for me. Forget about the end user! They
> are just the people that run this damn software!

This is a test release.  Period.  Yes, forget about the end user, because
this is a test release.  nVidia's drivers are a black box.  There is no
way to tell if they are broken because of a change that a developer made
or a wrong assumption nVidia made.  Using developer time to probe a black
box with a stick is a waste of developer time.

[snip]

> I am all for going forward & development etc but their has to be some
> consideration given to what people have that is either legacy,
> non-standard or proprietry.

You contradict yourself.  What you are really saying "you can go forward,
but only as far as nVidia will let you".  Nope, doesn't work that way.
Should AMD no have released the AMD64 because nVidia didn't have a display
driver for it?

> ..Or even some notification that "Feature xxxx may break as a result of
> this change".

nVidia support isn't a feature of Fedora.  Fedora support is a feature (or
in the case of test releases, not a feature) of nVidia's driver.

--
William Hooper