up2date : resume installation of downloaded packages

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Fri Apr 16 20:33:16 UTC 2004

Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 00:57, Hannes Mayer wrote:
>
>>Hi all!
>>
>>I tried a full up2date on my FC2test2 installation yesterday.
>>That was quite a challange, since up2date hanged every now
>>and then, but finally I managed that it downloads all the
>>needed packages.
>>
>>But while installing some of the packages, the up2date froze
>>once again.
>>
>>How do I resume the installation of the downloaded packages ?
>>
>>When I started up2date again the whole process of comparing
>>packages and selecting them started again.
>
> You might have to select a few packages and incrementally proceed.
> Since one of the packages may be causing a problem.
> Sometimes I end up running up2date 3 or 4 times. The first time I only
> upgrade the kernel. The second time I choose about a third of the
> packages, etc...
>
> If it is clear which package is failing during installation simply the
> don't select that one and file a bug report.
>
> Good News: If the packages were already downloaded, up2date will
> recognize this and will not start over with the download. So, things
> will indeed be faster this time.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Ernest!! It indeed helped me very much! :-)

I still haven't updated all packages, since my DSL was not working
yesterday and today many new versions showed up...

Well, I'm getting similar messages as many members here (XKB Error..)
and also quite a lot audit's and many apps are broken now (quanta, krusader etc..)

I also noticed that even if I'm logged in as root, I don't seem to be
root. After "su" I'm allowed again what was permitted before "su".

I try to look into it more tomorrow, search for existing bug reports
on bugzilla and probably throw in a few more.

So far so good... at least I can boot and X comes up (somehow)...

Cheers,
Hannes.