CIFS - permissions

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Apr 20 00:55:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 04:27, d l <popgojp at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> Don't think it is a good idea to use fstab to mount
> network fs.
> Use a startup script and fork it to the background is
> safer.

Why not just use autofs, that's what it was designed for.  Just putting a
startup script in the background can cause problems if you don't start a new
session with setsid.  Some time ago the Debian sysvinit package changed and
it caused a signal (from memory I think it was sighup) to be sent to any
background scripts that were running when the machine went to multi-user
mode.  I'm not sure whether Fedora operates in the same way as Debian in this
regard.  At the very least this issue will make it difficult to have the same
configuration on machines running different distributions, and at worst it
could result in race conditions in scripts depending on the availability and
speed of the file server.

One of the problems with putting network file system mounts in /etc/fstab is
that it's easy to make a circular dependency, which will work fine when you
reboot one machine but which will cause big problems if there is a power
failure.

Finally, the closer you stay to the usual configuration the easier it will be
to get features such as SE Linux working...