Expectation Management for Test Releases

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Apr 20 20:00:36 UTC 2004

I'm not sure whether it's clear or not to most people that FC test
releases and/or Rawhide represent unstable software.  It was clear to
me, and I'm certainly no genius.  I can't recall exactly know *how* I
know it, but I do.  So something must have tipped me off at some point.
Thus, I suspect most other folks know this too (at least subliminally
;-).  I never tested a Redhat beta release before Fedora, so I'm not
sure how the new process differs from the old, though.

But IMHO whether you're talking about a test release or a stable release
of a given piece of software, it's arguably a bit disingenuous of the
person who ultimately desires absolute stability to not contribute
anything back to the testing/development process in the way of code
contribution, bug reports, maillist posts, commiseration, a helping hand
on a config issue, or whatever.  I'd guess that cash even works.

I don't know that your acquaintance at Boeing didn't do some of this,
but you didn't mention that he did.  The fact that he happens to work
for a multinational company and apparently has influence over purchasing
is probably a consideration for Redhat sales, but it might not mean much
to many readers of this list, all of whom are demonstrably trying to
make the software better rather than grousing about how lousy it is
out-of-band (or maybe they're doing both, but at least they are doing
the former too ;-).

With that in mind, I can understand why you'd want to see some
improvements in expectation management for test releases, but maybe it
would be more effective to make the case to Redhat's marketing/sales
department rather than to this list, as they are the folks that are more
likely to have a "dog in that fight".  I'm sure they'd be more than
willing to talk with him and give him a little TLC if he's in a position
of influence.

Personally, I'm pretty amazed at the stability and functionality of
Rawhide.  I expected much, much worse!  It's been rock-solid for me so
far.