Flash memory

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Wed Apr 21 14:20:51 UTC 2004

Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com>@redhat.com on 04/21/2004 09:36:48 AM
replied:

> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:47, Fulko.Hew at sita.aero wrote:
> >
> > > Something has happened between FC1 rawhide and FC2t3. My USB
flashcard
> > > reader is no longer allowing me to access the flash card I use in my
> > > Yopy PDA - it's not even registering using sg_scan or cdrecord
--scanbus
> > > (as it used to).
> >
> > My failure is related, but not similar
> > A few days ago I seem to have lost /dev/sda0 and /dev/sda1 all
together.
> > So I can't do a thing now w.r.t FLASH USB.
>
> Works for me (again) now that I have recreated the device files:
>
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV sda
> ./MAKEDEV sda1

Thank you.  That has brought them back.
Now the question would be... "What made them dissapear?"

> Don't know what you're talking about re "sda0" -- I don't know such a
> thing (there's sda and sda1).

Sorry, 'sda0' was a typo, I had intended to write "/dev/sda and /dev/sda1".

> > ... snip ...
> >
> > > /dev/sda0 points to /dev/video1 (my webcam) though this has never
been a
> > > factor before. All the cables are plugged in (the PC is charging my
Yopy
> > > as I type this).
> >
> > Also, my USB hotplug doesn't detect any USB devices if I plug them
>
> Any output from the following command (as root)?
>
> rpm -V dev | fgrep missing

Yes,  I have the following:

missing    /dev/dri/card1
missing    /dev/dri/card2
missing    /dev/dri/card3

BTW. I have also disable SELinux (based on the original instruction that I
do not recall at the moment) since 'day 2' of testing 'test 2' because of
all of its issues, and I have never re-enabled it.

> > in _after_ the system is booted.  No one has seems to be able to come
> > to my aid on this issue, although I have submitted a bugzilla on it.
>
> There seems to be the misconception that bugzilla was a support tool
> ;-). It is a bug tracker so developers don't lose track of the bugs and
> they may get fixed eventually.

No, I never expected bugzilla to be a support tool, but I did expect the
issue
to be acknowleged.  However I would have thought that something like a
existing
USB hotplug issue might have taken precedence over new features like
SELinux,
or am I the only person where hotplug doesn't work any more :-(
(btw. It still works on this hardware if I plug my RH9 disk back in.)

> For help your best address is here or
> maybe fedora-devel-list (or fedora-list once FC2 is final).

I have, and gotten no _useful_ responses todate
(other than 'hotplug is in the kernel')
that might lead me in any direction that allows me to help to debug
the code.  I am trying to help RedHat on this bug/issue.  Heck i'll even
submit a patch, but so far far I haven't found any documentation or
help, on how this subsystem is supposed to work.
The linux-usb web page only goes as far as kernel 2.4.