Desktop issues discussion proposal

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 09:33:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 09:40, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Do, den 22.04.2004 schrieb Maynard Kuona um 02:58:
> > >
> > > @Bill Nottingham: Is there a chance to get the Core 1 context menu back?
> > >
> > The functionality you are referring to is now in the computer icon. You
> > just go there and you can mount/unmount to your heart's desire :)
>
> I know. But it is less efficient, if you *work* with your Fedora system
> (and not only play around). You have to move your program windows around
> to get access to the icon. Right click onto a free desktop space
> anywhere is much more convenient. (I know, as an alternative I can click
> through the panel menu - is not better as having to rearrange your
> program windows)

Forst having to look for a bit of free background isn't really
convenient to me, not the least because I tend to run many programs
maximized ;-). I always found it a bit cumbersome to first look for free
background or having to use the "hide all windows" button, then to click
somewhere on the background to mount/umount CD-ROMs, USB sticks and the
like. Now I use the Disk Mounter applet (Add to Panel->Utility->Disk
Mounter) and this really cuts it, i.e. to mount/umount I always click on
the same location of my desktop.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com