Fedora Core 3

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Apr 23 21:34:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 12:47, Mark Derricutt wrote:
> > mike wrote:
> >
> > >BTW I was ecstatic when I realised exim has been added to fedora core -
> > >would be nioce to have it as an option in install tho'
> > >

> > And also if it sendmail was made to NOT be compulsory.  If we install
> > postfix/exim on install, why do we still need sendmail?
> >
> > Mark
>
> I agree - make sendmail an option.

It already is. Just be sure to ass postfix or whatever. If you do not
pick an mta you get sendmail. If you look at it crosswise you get sendmail,
but is is possible to install without sendmail. I do it from ks all of the time.

> If you choose mail server from the server options, sendmail should
> probably be the default - there are a lot of third party milters etc.
> that really do need sendmail. But unless you are really running a _real_
> mail server - postfix in a chroot jail is a better choice for a default
> MTA.

Postfix provides the functionality of sendmail in almost 100% of cases.
Please do not start the usual religious war about how much better 1 is over
the other. I am just stating a fact.

> btw - speaking of cron, what about fcron instead of cron? ;)

What would be the point? Granted I have never heard of fcron but I see
nothing wrong with the existing crond.

Regards,

Tom