Fedora Core 3

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl2 at iadonisi.to
Sat Apr 24 19:53:24 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 11:23, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:13:53AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > # externalize local domain info
> > R$* < $+ > $*           $1 $2 $3                        defocus
> > R@ $+ : @ $+ : $+       @ $1 , @ $2 : $3                <route-addr>
> > canonical
> > R@ $*                   $@ @ $1                         ... and exit
>
> Unfair comparison... you should look at the options in sendmail.mc
> (although I like to use sendmail.cf "raw" myself ;-)).
>
> I have to say I'm biased, as I wrote sendmail.cf files from scratch in
> the days that we used mixtures of domain name addresses and UUCP bang
> paths, so I'm still dreaming this syntax (or are that nightmares ;-) ?).

  The best description of the sendmail.cf syntax I've heard is that it
looks like line noise. ;-)
  That said, yes, m4 has made life much easier for sendmail
configuration.  However, m4 has it's own weirdness (what's with the
bizarre quoting syntax, man).
  In the area of a good GUI, Sendmail, Inc. has a fairly decent (but
closed source, of course) web configuration GUI.  We used it at one
company I did a consulting gig at and were quite happy with it.  Of
course, that doesn't help the world of FOSS.
  Performance-wise, as much of a sendmail partisan I am, I have to
confess that at another consulting gig I did, we ran some high volume
(mostly mailing list) performance tests between postfix, sendmail, and
one other who's name escapes me at the moment.  Postfix and sendmail
both beat the pants off the third one (dang, I wish I could remember
what it was), but postfix beat sendmail as well.  We even ran sendmail
with multiple queues and although it helped, it wasn't enough to take
the lead.
  Of course, that's only one data point and I don't remember the details
of the tests we did.  But personally, as an earlier poster implied, I
think it really depends on your local configuration.  The performance
difference isn't great enough to ditch sendmail in all situations and
sendmail will win in some environments, but any large site will need to
do testing with both (and maybe others) before making a decision.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator