Odd ALSA problem

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Apr 25 15:58:11 UTC 2004

Hi,

All users of my main box are members of the group "sound". /dev/dsp* is
set to belong to root.sound so that all members can have access to the
sound system.

If I log in as the other half, xmms works fine. Log in as my son and
xmms is fine. Log in as me and xmms is fine. Good so far.

When I log out and the other half logs in xmms won't play - the error
about another application blocking the sound comes up. When I go to the
options on xmms, only the default device is available instead of all of
the other devices on the box (it uses Creative Audigy as the main sound
card while Intel 8x0 is the onboard sound system).

I can't do anything other than reset for the other half to get sound
back.

I've just done ls /dev/dsp* -l and /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 is
set to paul.sound while /dev/dsp0 (symlinked to /dev/dsp) is set to
root.sound.

How can something set as root.sound change to paul.sound?

TTFN

Paul
--
"There are four stages to any war
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you