updatedb failure

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 26 14:35:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Elaine Normandy wrote:

> updatedb seems to be failing on my machine, requiring a hardware reset
> to recover.  I checked bugzilla, and no one seems to have reported this
> for Fedora Core 2.  I was able to run it manually on April 20.  I
> believe it has been failing when run from cron, causing my computer to
> seize up when I next tried to use it.  Oddly, I could use it for a few
> minutes before the problem became apparent.
>
> I can reproduce the problem every time when running it from the command
> line as su.  When run with the -v switch, it seems to be progressing for
> a while until it hangs.  I am not quite sure how it should look in top,
> but until it hangs, top doesn't show anything too worrisome.  When it
> hangs, the load seems to go to 100%, but it is kind of hard to tell at
> the point since my system is no longer responding.
>
> If anyone has already logged this in bugzilla, or can think of
> additional diagnostics I should include, please let me know.

Some of this is at http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-April/msg00907.html

I've seen such freezes happen twice. It takes me forever to ssh on to
this machine - and If I manage to get through - simple commands like
'sync' or 'df' freeze for a long time. I managed to wait it out - and
then reboot - the first time.

Now I'm waiting so that I can do uname -a. I think its
kernel-2.6.5.1..339 from arjavnv.

Satish