Software RAID not working or am I being stupid?

Craig Emery fedora-test at cemery.org.uk
Wed Apr 28 07:17:29 UTC 2004

This is with FC2test2

I tried to get RAID 1 going with a problem.
I also have a question. :-/

I set up two identical drives with this layout

/dev/hda

/     RAID1 512MB
/boot ext3  100MB
       swap  256MB
/tmp  RAID1 256MB
/usr  RAID1 1024MB
/home RAID1 16GB

/dev/hdc

/     RAID1 512MB
/boot ext3  100MB
       swap  256MB
/tmp  RAID1 256MB
/usr  RAID1 1024MB
/home RAID1 16GB

Where the partitions say RAID1 they're RAIDed with the same partition on
the other drive. It felt easier to duplicate /boot and have two swaps so
the layout would be the same and all partitions the same size. :-$

Problem: When the installer gets to "installing the image" (or something
like that) it complains there's been an error and the likely problem is
that the drive is full. I think this happened after formatting the
partitions.

This is my 1st foray into RAID and I figured grub would not be able to
grok the RAID so I left /boot as ext3. Funny thing is that before
getting to the format / install stage, the installer sets up grub and
says it's going to boot from /dev/md0! Can that be right? Maybe I got
the primary partition wrong.

Any thoughts? Is this a problem where the installer (Anaconda, right?)
can't write to RAID partitions?

Help!

TIA

Craig