ntfs support

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Wed Apr 28 14:41:31 UTC 2004

Strange...I had an NTFS partition go corrupt just this weekend and
Windows (and even Norton Ghost for that matter) would not use the
partition to backup files.  So I popped the drive into my Fedora machine
and no joy.

It's not that code for NTFS is not there, it's that the kernel builders
are not even building it as a module.  When you reconfigure the kernel,
you will find the NTFS selections blank.  I had to rebuild the kernel to
get the NTFS module built.

I went ahead and installed my custom kernel and rebooted with it to get
the support.  I wasn't sure if I could use the newly built module with
the original kernel and didn't want to risk it.

Troy Carpenter
troy at carpenter.cx