FC2T3 VMware Workstation Install Fails

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Wed Apr 28 22:25:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 14:29, Chris Kloiber wrote:
(snip)

> I installed VMWare Workstation 4.5 yesterday on my x86_64 system (with a
> 64-bit kernel) using this patch:
>
> http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/vmware-any-any-update63.tar.gz
>
> It then compiles and install, the modules "load perfectly". It runs, but
> when starting any VM I get a warning that the host kernel is newer than
> anything tested by VMWare, and it may not work. Needless to say it hangs
> hard if you tell it to start anyway. But it is nice to know that they
> are working on the problem.
>
> --
> Chris Kloiber

I installed 4.5.1 (build 7568) on my system today running FC2T3 with
today's updates from rawhide. I compiled and ran with no extra
parameters. I also did *not* apply the patch.

I, too, got the "newer than newest supported kernel" warning, but in my
case, Win XP Pro and Win Server 2K3 both worked flawlessly in their
respective VMs.

Could the patch actually be breaking something that has changed with T3?

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Our lives begin to end the day we