Upgrade to FC3

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at merl.com
Wed Apr 28 23:36:58 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil B. Cohen" <nbc at aikisoft.com>
To: <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 7:33 PM
Subject: Upgrade to FC3

> This question may show up twice - I tried to ask it from work this
> afternoon but I'm not sure I was subscribed properly... I have just
> installed FC2 Test 2 on my machine. Do I need to download and burn CD's
> for test 3 or can I just type 'yum update' and expect to get all the new
> files?
>
> thanks,
>
> nbc

Yum update only works when all the packages are, in fact, numbered with
newer versions than the old ones. Also, it doesn't necessarily delete old
ones unless they are obsoleted or replaced by newer packages. Last, it's
quite a lot of packages and can take hours just to get the dependencies: I
urge you to install only a few packages at a time, such as "all the ones
that start with xorg", "all the ones that start with y", etc.