windows network browsing -- Broken again...

Stephan Schutter rhl at farorbit.com
Thu Apr 29 17:15:22 UTC 2004

Why is it that the RedHat flavor of Linux never work well in a windows
environment? We are currently experimanting with numerous possibilities at
work. We have a large network with multple domains. Here is what I have
found so far:

Xandros:

Windows networking is near flawless. You open the network browser and BAM!
It is there, it just works. Immediatley! You can eeven join an AD domain.

Lindows:

Same as Xandros, but you can not join a domain. It just works! Fantastic!

Acronis: (Disk imaging software that runs on linux... bootable CD)

Again -- Just works!

RedHat: (FC1 FC2-t3)

Open the nework browser... "can't display blah blah..."
fully qualify a path... "cant.... etc."
fully qualify a path & indicate smb://my-domain/user@servername...
displays a keyring dialogue box... with user, domain, password is
requested... you put in the appropriate info and.... the box displays
again...

This is not acceptable. If this is how the finished product RedHat
Workstartion will work... not good. This needs to work. Everybody else can
make it "just" work. What is the disconnect here? Is this being worked on
at all? Is it part of the requiremants foer the finished product?