R30 Thinkpad install, screen resolution issue in X

Phil Anderson phil at phil-anderson.com
Thu Apr 29 23:54:58 UTC 2004

I got the same problem with my Nvidia Geforce 4, except that half the
time it was in 1024x768, half the time in 640x480.

It appears that the new system-config-display doesn't enable the hard
coded screen settings in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Instead, it relies on
DCC probes.  My monitor/card combination has some problem, and the DCC
Probe fails half the time.  To work around this, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and look in the Monitor section.  Uncomment the HorizSync and the
VertRefresh lines.

Section "Monitor"

 ### Uncomment if you don't want to default to DDC:
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Lite-On A1770NSL"
    DisplaySize  320    240
 ### Uncomment if you don't want to default to DDC:
    HorizSync    30.0 - 69.0
    VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
    Option      "dpms"
EndSection