Hypertreading faster myth or truth?

Gregory G Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Fri Apr 30 19:58:45 UTC 2004

Applications need to be threaded, and fully re-entrant to gain maxmium
benefits of HyperThreading.  Such things as:

Linux Kernel....the Kernel could be even more rentrant than it is now.
For example one of the biggest gains in networking performance over 2.4
series kernel is due to the fact that in 2.4 only one CPU at a time
could be serially assigned to handle network traffic.  In 2.6 the TCP/IP
stack is much more rentrant and more than 1 cpu can handle a network
request.

But, any applications that uses a rentrant code is a great candidate
from HT Technology.

Surprisingly, very fews games are candidates for this sort of thing as
sharing CPU load to update the screen is problematic when the video card
is doing all the work, so such things as 3D games don't really benefit
that much.

-gc