TERM=gnome - a possible way out

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Aug 5 01:06:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:13:09PM -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> The catch is, of course, that you may not be able to load anything
> of that sort on some remotes where you may be connecting.  I know
> how to deal with that but for many people around this will be a very
> high hurdle.
In case someone is wondering, something like

export TERMINFO=/home/pp/.terminfo
export TERM=${TERM}

and placing the relevant terminfo entries there does the trick :-).
Latter line might seem silly but some curses libs don't look in .terminfo
by default and are too dumb to check afterwards causing fun effects
like backspace not working in your shell.

(I already do this for "linux" and "screen" so adding gnome is no biggie :-) )

This is actually a problem pretty close to the UTF-8 ones. People can't
figure it out so they find a solution that disables the new stuff
and call the new stuff broken. "#¤"#¤ legacy OS's.

A "Connecting to legacy operating systems on Fedora" HOWTO and adding
a pointer to the release notes might be nice :-)

--
Pekka Pietikainen