rpm -e problem

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 02:10:29 UTC 2004

Mike Jensen wrote:
> as far as i know that package doesn't exist....iiimf-le-xcin does
> however....not sure if that is what you were trying to remove?  it might have
> been getting confused because there are several packages like that that come
> with fedora....on core 2 with a full install you get:
> iiimf-le-inpinyin-0.3-2
> iiimf-protocol-lib-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-le-newpy-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-client-lib-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-protocol-lib-devel-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-gtk-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-le-unit-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-le-hangul-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-client-lib-devel-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-server-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-le-canna-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-docs-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-x-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-le-xcin-0.1.5-1
> iiimf-csconv-11.4-46.1.svn1587
> iiimf-emacs-11.4-46.1.svn1587
>

> if this dosen't help let me know, might be way off track
> On Thursday 12 August 2004 17:47, Paul wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Something odd has happened on the laptop.
>>
>>I'm trying to do an update via yum and am getting a pile of problems
>>with iiimf packages. I don't use iiimf, so there is no harm in removing
>>it.
>>
>>However, rpm -e iiimf-lib-xcin (say) generates the following error
>>
>>'iiimf-lib-xcin' specifies multiple packages
>>
>>I've tried to rebuild the database (which didn't generate any errors, so
>>I'll assume it's worked), but still get that error message.
>>
>>Any ideas what is causing the problem?
>>
>>TTFN
>>
>>Paul

You might be able to use the rpm -e parameter that gets rid of all
packages, (--allpackages or similar). Another option is to rpm -q the
package, then remove the older duplicated package. Also a recommendation
was made to use the justdb option since removing the latest rpm probably
installed files that were common to the older and newer version.
Removing the older rpm would probably remove the files which are common
to both versions.

I usually download the latest version and uninstall all versions, then
reinstall the newest version.

Jim

--
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
not worth knowing.