kernel-sourcecode

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Tue Aug 17 18:21:11 UTC 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 05:09, Lee Connell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I notice there is no more kernel-sourcecode rpm anymore?  I went and
> downloaded the kernel*.src.rpm from SRPMS and extracted the kernel and then
> built a custom kernel using the shipped config.  When i boot into the new
> kernel i get a kernel panic because it says security policy not loaded.
> What do I need to do to fix this?

Did you apply all the .patch files to the unpacked kernel?

I am working through this with some puzzlement myself.  I downloaded

http://people.redhat.com/~arjanv/2.6/SRPMS.kernel/kernel-2.6.8-1.521.src.rpm

The .src RPM unpacks by default into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

Here is what I did:

tar xjf linux-whatever.bz2
cd linux-whatever
for i in `ls ../linux-*.patch` ; do patch -p1 <$i ; done

I found some patches were already applied, and some _x64 ones on files that
weren't in the bz2.  I just accepted default (in)actions.

Then I did

cp ../kernel-2.6.8-i686.config .config

To bring over the correct config data for my architecture.

I had a tiny custom patch to a file in the usb part, I applied it
successfully.

make oldconfig

Attn: this required selecting packet scheduler clock source by hand.

Time for make bzImage....

# make bzImage
  SPLIT   include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
  HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
  HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
  HOSTCC  scripts/pnmtologo
  HOSTCC  scripts/bin2c
  CC      arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s
arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c: In function `foo':
arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:72: error: structure has no member named
`real_stack'
arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:73: error: structure has no member named
`virtual_stack'
arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:74: error: structure has no member named
`user_pgd'
make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 2

:-(

- -Andy

- --
Automatic actions for USB cameras, cardreaders, memory sticks, MP3 players
http://warmcat.com/usbautocam