[Request for Testing] X.Org X11 CVS rpms are now in rawhide

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 19 00:34:57 UTC 2004

Andy Green wrote:

> On Monday 16 August 2004 13:21, Andy Green wrote:
>
>>On Sunday 15 August 2004 18:16, Mike Klinke wrote:
>

>>>Here's one data point. It won't start on my system at all after
>>
>>xorg-x11-6.7.99.2-5 working fine here on nVidia graphics and nVidia binary
>>driver.  Can't really notice any difference yet.
>

> Another piece of info... installed the new Xorg on a second machine, this one
> an IBM R31 latop with i810/830 video.  Basically worked, but locked the
> machine solid on X logout.  I updated the kernel to the latest Development
> one and the crash was gone!  Didn't expect that but I was very pleased.  So
> if you are having troubles, consider to make sure you have the latest kernel.
>
> - -Andy

After updating X, the 845 card works great also. For the 815 video card,
X will work until you log out, then it will not start. I was wondering
if the FC2 test kernel (521) would allow the X server to work for the
815. I booted up with the 517 kernel when X refused to start.
The reason that I wonder if the 521 version would work, when the 517
kernel does not work is because of the different versioned compiler.

Regarding the 830 video card, I saw a few postings on the regular
mailing list where X locked up on exit. Maybe the 830 video card works
that way. The kernel version might be the ticket to get past the X
lockup on exit.

If the code is that dependent on kernel versions or the compiler used
for building the kernel, we would never know for sure if upgrading the
kernel is wise. Having a backup kernel makes this not a major problem.
However, upgrading all of the modular X packages and finding out that X
does not work is a bit tougher to handle.

About all of the intel video cards that use the i810 driver. I think
that these should be seperated for the different chipsets. Working on
systems with both an 815 and another with the 845 make me realize that
these two video cards work nothing alike. One was cursed w/ the previous
X version and blessed using the CVS version. The before very stable and
dependable 815 worked fine up until the installation of the CVS version.

Hopefully something simple can be found out on how to optimize each of
the intel cards that use the i810 driver w/o sacrificing the quality of
the other chip. I know that spreading out the drivers into independent
versions would be hard to maintain. However, the changes to accomidate
the 815, 830 or 845 won't bust the other video card from the tradeoff.

Jim